Hastings Direct, one of the fastest growing personal lines insurance providers, has appointed Ed Biemer as managing director, underwriting services.
Ed takes up his new post on 1 December 2014 and joins Hastings from US insurer Allstate, the largest publicly held personal lines property and casualty insurer in the United States; he will report directly to the group chief executive, Gary Hoffman.
Ed, joined Allstate in 1999 and undertook a number of senior roles, rising to senior vice president, auto based in Chicago, where he was responsible for a $17 billion portfolio.
Gary Hoffman, group CEO said: "We have ambitious plans to grow our customer base by providing refreshingly straightforward insurance. Ed has a first class insurance pedigree having managed a multi-billion dollar portfolio at Allstate. He was also integral in developing new rating plans which factored in economic modelling and competitive and market intelligence to create a sophisticated decision engine."
Ed Biemer, managing director, underwriting services, Hastings Direct said: "Hastings is genuinely a dynamic company with an impressive track record and I am anticipating an exciting time ahead as we manage the next stages of its development. On a personal note I am looking forward to relocating to the UK and enjoying my first winter here, which fingers crossed will offer some light relief after the sub zero snows of Chicago!"
Hastings has separated its underwriting services function from its claims and anti-fraud service functions, which continue to be led by Michael Lee, managing director, insurer services. Michael will also take overall responsibility for the company's growing telematics product offering — earmarked as a key area for growth over the next five years.
Ed Biemer, managing director, underwriting services, Hastings Direct
Allstate Insurance, Northbrook, IL. 1999 to 2014
- Senior Vice President, Auto, 2013 to 2014.
- Senior Vice President, Data and Analytics, October 2011 to February 2013.
- Product Vice President, September 2007 to October 2011.
- President AFS LLC and Vice President Distribution, February 2005 to August 2007.
- Vice President Direct, November 2003 to January 2005.
- Product Vice President, November 2001 to November 2003.
- Assistant Vice President, Product Management. August 1999 to November 2001.
Providian Direct Insurance, Valley Forge, PA. 1995 to 1999
- Senior Vice President, Property and Casualty, July 1996 to May 1999.
- Vice President Database Marketing and Retention, May 1995 to June 1996.
- MBA, Cornell University, 1991.